- Course Text: Exceptional Children: An Introduction to Special Education
Note: For each chapter, read the designated sections up to “Educational Approaches”
- Chapter 4, “Intellectual Disabilities” (pp. 132–1 47)
- Chapter 5, “Learning Disabilities” (pp. 172–179, 181–182, 184–192)
- Chapter 6, “Emotional or Behavioral Disorders” (pp. 213–2 21, 224–233)
- Chapter 7, “Autism Spectrum Disorders” (pp. 257–265, 268–2 71)
- Chapter 8, “Communication Disorders” (pp. 297–3 14)
Optional Readings and Resources:
- American Association on Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities
- National Down Syndrome Society
- “Understanding Learning Disabilities”
Division of Learning Disabilities of the Council for Exceptional Children
- Council for Children with Behavioral Disorders
- The National Autism Association
- “The Language of Autism”
- IDEA 2004: “Definitions of Disability”
Application: Special Needs from a Variety of Perspectives
Research and Information Exchange on Categories of Special Needs, Part 1
Note: For this assignment you will be submitting via the Submission link and the Doc Sharing area of the course. See the bottom of the page for more details.
Each of the categories of special needs is complex. This Application will give you the opportunity to delve deeper into one, as well as learn about others from fellow students.
There are two parts to the Application Assignment. You will complete Part 1 this week and Part 2 next week.
Part 1: Research One Category of Special Needs
For Part 1 of your Application assignment, you will choose a category of special needs that interests you and research it using your text and at least one additional resource that has reliable information. You will also need to identify at least one Web site you recommend to others to learn about the category of special needs you have chosen.
Categories of Special Needs
Here are the categories of special needs you learned about this week and the categories you will be focusing on next week. If you choose a category to research from next week’s list, you will need to read that portion of the text in order to complete your Application Assignment for this week.
This week you have learned about the following categories of special needs:
- Mental Retardation/Intellectual Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities
- Emotional or Behavioral Disorders
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Communication Disorders
In Week 4, you will learn about these categories of special needs:
- Deafness and Hearing Loss
- Blindness and Low Vision
- Physical Disabilities, Health Impairments, and ADHD (Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder)
- Low-Incidence Disabilities (severe/multiple disabilities, deaf-blindness, and traumatic brain injury)
After you have chosen a category from the lists above, click on, download, and complete the following:
Information Sheet (in Microsoft Word .doc format)
I have attached the Word doc. needed for assignment.
“Is this question part of your assignment? We Can Help!”
Communication Disorders was first posted on October 24, 2019 at 11:05 am.
©2019 "Convenient Essays". Use of this feed is for personal non-commercial use only. If you are not reading this article in your feed reader, then the site is guilty of copyright infringement. Please contact me at email@example.com